Sunday, August 26, 2012

July 20, 1969

Do you remember where you were on this date?  I do so vividly: my family was taking a camping trip around Lake Superior, using one of those old pop-up campers.  We made up a crew of six:  3 sisters--ages 16, 8 and 6--and I-age 12.   Much of the trip was tedious for us; we were inexperienced campers.  But there were memorable highlights; I remember one remote campground where we set up on a beach--it struck my adolescent mind as the most beautiful place on earth.

But the most memorable invent occurred in Duluth MN.   We had just completed the northern trek around Superior; we were hot, tired, dusty, and grumpy. My father broke the norm and rented a hotel room at a Best Western.  I don't remember much about the room and our accommodations, but I do remember it had an old black and white TV.  After everyone had showered, we gathered around the tube and watched Neil Armstrong become the first human to walk on the moon. 

It was the best vacation of my life, if only for that moment.  Rest in Peace, Neil. 

No comments:

Post a Comment