Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Division III Football!

If you've been following my blog (all 1 of you), then you know I'm a die-hard supporter of Wabash College.  In the fall, I keep up with the weekly outcome as the Little Giants play other members of the NCAC.  And I anguish over whether Wabash will make the playoffs. 

I also work at a school that is a member of the NCAA and am familiar with its workings: everything is conference-based.  To join Division I, for example, you must now be invited to do so by a conference.  This has its advantages.  On the other hand, rewarding colleges for being members of conferences has its negatives, such as this DIII conference which includes the University of Maine-Presque Isle and Mills College in Oakland as its members! (only a mere 3000 miles apart)      Why such a far-flung conference?  To increase the chances of qualifying for the post-season NCAA tournament.   (h/t Deadspin)

No comments:

Post a Comment