Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Medical Depression

My wife and I recently had a mildly disturbing experience with our doctor the other day.  She's a friendly MD; we both like her.  Her one flaw is she likes to push the latest and greatest drugs, when a cheaper alternative might work.  I've learned to ask upfront for the cheaper drug and avoid further hassle.  But on this last visit, she carried in a large laptop, spending more time on the laptop than engaging in conversation.  She was treating my wife, but my wife and I talked about unrelated issues to cover the lulls. 

I've figured out the culprit!  Part of the Stimulus Act in 2009 included incentives for MDs to switch to electronic medical records: payments up to 44K for doctors who treat Medicare patients, and decreased reimbursements for those who don't switch.  As proposed, the switch to EMRs would encourage information flow and reduce medical costs. 

As Megan McCardle points out, the savings haven't occurred as projected, and our experience seems consistent with others'.  Higher cost, longer visit, less interaction with the doctor.  As I head into the time of life where I anticipate the need for more medical treatment, I wonder if I'd be better off staying home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment